Friday, February 12, 2016

God Knows My Heart


 
The other day I had a thought – a very honest, blunt and extremely fleshy thought. Something I may never say out loud to another person, but I don’t need too. The moment I thought it, I realized I wasn’t ready for the situation - because if it came to pass I had already declared I wasn’t going to act right. I need time to get my mind right. No one else knows the thought but me and God. Only He knows my true thoughts, wants, & motives. He honestly “knows my heart.”  My heart may be hidden from man, but not from God.



“What comes out of the mouth proceeds from the heart…out of the heart come evil thoughts, murder, adultery, sexual immorality, theft, false witness, slander” (Matthew 15:18-19).

I hate when I hear people use “God knows my heart” to excuse their behavior. This is actually the worst excuse because of how true it is! If you read Matthew 5 it gives us guidance on how God is less concerned with your actions than the feelings behind them.

Knowing God’s word is worthless if you’re not going to follow it (5:20) It’s not enough to not commit murder, we shouldn’t even be angry – a feeling (5:22). Adultery is wrong and mentally lusting over someone is just as bad (5:28). Wow! It’s hard enough to not to act fleshly – but now I can even THINK IT!

God is not concerned with our physical circumcision but the word tells us that “circumcision is a matter of the heart, by the Spirit, not by a written law (Romans 2:29)”.
So yes, God knows your filthy, sin filled fleshy heart – and He will continue to work on you and you should do right because you love him.

No comments:

Post a Comment