Tuesday, August 12, 2003

Imagine Me

Imagine yourself a young black male,
Intelligent, athletic,
And an attitude to always prevail.
Five foot seven, nice to look at,
Alright with the ladies,
With a good mind, on top of all that.
Now most people would think his life is great,
Just coast through life, relax,
Enjoy your time here and become your fate.
You can’t imagine the burden I bare,
The stress that pulls at every soul so rare.
The weight of a thousand soldiers
Comes down upon my shoulders.
All the many people who’ve paved my way
Watch me with hope, that I’ll be their pay.
Yet, I didn’t ask to be the hope for the future,
I just did what I do, living my life, my adventure.
Those piercing eyes that watch so close,
Some so I can fail, others so they can boast.
You thought the Trade came tumbling down,
Imagine my anxiety with exam time comes around.
How easy it would be to be like the rest,
Enjoy my time, stop worrying about the test.
But those souls tell me I must succeed,
To continue their fight, to strengthen their breed.
So many eyes fault the “luck” I’ve had,
Waiting for my mistake so they can brag
About how they knew I was never a threat
And they’ll leave me be and soon regret
That I wasn’t playing, and flip the script,

And take their jobs, money, and long vacation trips.

No comments:

Post a Comment