Monday, March 20, 2006

Talk

They talked.
Said we were a couple,
Because I was glad to see you,
Because we were seen smiling together in public,
Because you came to visit and they were alone.

Jealously, they talked.
Said we danced like the sex they never had,
Because you came to see me and passed them by,
Because we had more fun on the dance floor.

Then you talked about what they said,
And I listened.
Made it sound like a bad thing.
Like you were ashamed of what they said.
Like it hurt you because they assumed
Like I was blocking their advances
Like I wasn’t good enough for you
So, you stopped, we stopped,
But they didn’t.

They talked
Told me you were crazy,
Then I remember your drunken plea
And the times you snapped over nothing.
Told me you were a liar
Then I investigated the truths turned raw from lines before
Told me you were the Mississippi Hoe
Crept in the night
Lied and deceived men while taking your fill
I didn’t listen

Soon,
I saw,
You denied.
Next time you talk,
I’ll not listen
Because according to you

We never talked

No comments:

Post a Comment