Wednesday, January 3, 2007

In Dem Genes

A friend of mind has been recently joking (I hope) about how she going to just have enough sex with me to have my kids, then let me do as I please. And she’s cool with that because if I leave her she just going to take all my money in child support and alimony. I told her that wasn’t going to happen. She said good, cause if I let it happen I’d be a loser anyway. I agreed and concluded that I had nothing to worry about.

I was watching an interesting episode of Law and Order: SVU where this lady was drugging men, using an electric probe to force ejectculation, and steal the sperm. These men were world class athletes, musicians, doctors, etc. Basically they were the “cream of the crop” in all areas of life. She took the sperm and gave it to the sperm back she worked at. Women were buying it at 200, 000 a hit.

This got me thinking. When I look at women I think about whether I think they going to be fat, how attractive they are, their athletic build, intelligence, etc. I always look at these things in respect to my personal tastes, never with respect to offspring. Maybe I should start thinking about my future looking for my mate on the basis of her genes. So we can create some super genius athletes. Back in HS my friends used to joke about how me and a few of the female track girls should reproduce so we can have some instant Olympic hopefuls.

I think I got pretty good genes (not worth 200, 000….. maybe just half that). I am one of 5 kids. We are all intelligent, in good health, and artistic. And we all have dominating personalities and are destined for great things.


The show also hit on the fact the science is getting to the point where people can have children “made to order,” specifying everything from sex, hair color, eye color, height, etc. What if that can to pass? Wouldn’t that create an even larger riff between the haves and have-nots? Between the enhanced and the normal people? If you knew that there were people literally breed to be smarter, faster, and just better than you wouldn’t that be a little bit discouraging?

No comments:

Post a Comment