Friday, February 23, 2007

Against All Odds

According to my parents I was born with my legs turned a bit awkward at the knees. They problem was corrected before even I can remember so if never really affected my life. But what if it hadn't? What if it progressed as I grew up? I wonder how that would have shaped who I became. I wonder would I have been strong enough to face that and achieve all that I had achieved. Of course I want to say that I would have, but it's impossible to know.

About two weeks ago another student passed. His name was Justin Clark and he was student in the IE department at the University. What made this guy stand out is that is has had muscular dystrophy since birth and is confined to a wheelchair. Despite this he was in college and went hunting. Something most people would find near impossible for someone in his state. The few conversations I had with him were like that of any other student. He made jokes, got cracked on, etc. I was amazed at the things people would say to him because I thought they would have been a bit harsh. But they talked to him like they talked to anyone else. He was succeeding in being as normal as possible until he died from pneumonia.

Last week there was a forum held to hear Nathan Ballad speak on campus. At first I didn't know who this was, but once I heard the description "that black guy that be in the Ferg in the wheelchair," I knew exactly who they were talking about. I was surprised to hear that he had several degrees, speaks a few languages, and travels the world. He has been a major force in implementation of disability legislation. Ok, maybe I bit more than surprised, maybe shocked and amazed is better. Honestly, like most people, I thought he was mentally retarded. I'd heard him talk and seen him eat. I had drawn my conclusion without a second thought, and apparently I wasn't the only person who thought he was challenged. It's rumored that the University put him out several times thinking the same thing.


So I look at both theses men who were accomplishing so much despite there major setbacks and I look at all the people who are fully capable but not doing half as much. A lot of things we take for granted on a daily basis. The ability to walk, feed yourself, cloth yourself, etc. Neither of them could do anything of these things but still strived for excellence. Finally, I wonder about myself. If my problem had progressed, would I have had the strength to fight through my disability and take the stares and comments and still succeed? Would you?

No comments:

Post a Comment